Saturday, February 28, 2009

Every cloud has a Silver lining...Do point out if you see one in this..

Till now...
On my first morning walk in my entire life i helped a man bleeding to death to hospital along with a cop.There the apathy of docs is excruciating. I was asked to shut up because i was making a genuine demand.Finally the cop with me was a gem of a person.He gave money to the victim's wife and treated me to a cup of coffee...

Now..
I woke up at 1pm.Thoroughly exhausted(after my arrival from hospital at 9:30 am)i slept in fits and starts...
Finally i gave up on the futile attempt and decide on seeing a movie in theater.I was in the bus when i got a call.
The person asked me if i knew how the accident had happenned..I told him no.He disconnected.
Feeling a little uncomfortable i called back.He was the victims nephew and told me that no doctor had come to check on him and that he was still unconscious. He asked me if i could help them.I asked him to call someone from hospital.I enquire abouth the whereabouts od the doctor.The person on the other gave me 3 answers each after a delay of almost 20-30 secs...

1)She was on leave as it was Sunday...
2)She was busy in a meeting...
3)She was in her own clinic...

I was enraged but felt helpless...Didn't know what to do.Called Pratap and he suggested getting media persons there...I concurred...I called up some channels but they said tht its too small a story.Finally something clicked form Cnn-Ibn and reporters called me to inform that they would be at the Nimhans hospital...
I reached there and saw him in the same state.I was told that only his drips were being changed and that nothing was bring done to revive him...
The nephew thanked me for his support....

The media persons came...I was happy that at least now the man'll get some help...But i was wrong...It was me who was gonna need help and that too big-time...

The camera man and the reporter(both examples of fine human beings ) did some talk.The camera was refused inside the premises.
The camera man started talking to the family in their native language.
After that he asked me if i possessed a vehicle...I said nopes...
He asked if any friend of mine possessed....I said nopes...

Then he told me that i am being suspected as the perpetrator of the crime...(I laughed my balls off)I told him that i have a policeman who'll vouch for me..He seemed satisfied and told me in a matter of factly voice...If u are telling the truth we'll see u through this ordeal...

Then the doctors in Nimhans spinned a ludicrous tale about giving him proper medical attention and denying any doc was on leave...

They called cops(diff. from morning ones).The called the family(his nephew) and asked him if he was happy with efforts of hospital.He said yes..
I looked at him...
It was the second day i was reminded of Russel crowe's Dialouge in A Beautiful Mind....
Terrified.Petrified.Stupified.Mortified.
This time by who....No concoction....
Just the lie...
It was because his (the nephew's) money on the line that he backed off.He though tht he wud be forced to move him into a private hospital...lol...

Then came the final Chapter..A climax befitting to this saga...
A climax suited for big budget films...
The reporters went.I was coming out of the hospital when i was stopped by the police.
The cop was this short plump guy(yea the ones they show in movies)
He started investigating me...

He asked me why i was so keen on helping them...
I have been a topper almost all my life.I have answered questions which have gotten me accolades from even the most miser-praise-showering teachers(one such teacher said that a prof. from a college on an interview couldn't answer a question which u just did)
But trust me that day it was the first time in my life i had no answer.Nothing.It was a total black out.No bulb flashing inside me guiding me to the answer...

I scratched my head...grinned...I didn't know how to react when u have no answer as it was my first time trudging the forsaken path...
I said i don't know---Maybe bcoz i was the man lying in mud bleeding to death.The cop said i know.Bcoz u did the accident...
(Ahhhhhhhhhh..........Now that was something)His relatives(nephew) was called and a huge crowd gathered around me.The nephew said that he had called me as he suspected i was the perpetrator.I told the cop that he had called me and asked for help...To this nephew said no....

Ahh....I was beginning to hate the dialouge in A Beautiful Mind...

I'm a pretty brave kinda person but tht day i was so scared that..(damn those adjectives)
The crowd was eying me with dirty coupled with murderous looks...I was asked if i had the cell number of the morning cop...I had it in my cell but at that time i was so scared tht i forgot i had it.(It dawned on me later that i had it with me)

I called the cnn-ibm reporter again.He was shocked.He asked me to wait there for 5 mins and told me he would be there.Meanwhile a call was made to the Morning cop.I asked the pudgy cop to give me the cell.

I have never been so happy to hear a man's voice as i was on hearing his.I told him everything.He asked me to give the cell back to the pudgy cop.After that it was pure fun.
Watching the gradient of the face color of the pudgy cop change dramatically from dark red to pale yellow was pure catharsis.The victim's kin who had touched my feet in the morning stood there making no effort to defend me.The nephew who called me and asked for my help stood there his eyes blood shot...

Who had i wronged?
Was i wrong because i had challenged the complacency of the hospital?
Was i wrong because i saw it that person a father a husband a brother?
Was i wrong because i wanted that man to live?
I know i wasn't wrong but what i didn't understand was why everyone was hellbent on proving me otherwise...

The cop's face was a pale yellow gradient now.As if by miracle the reporter came at that very instant.He was a tall well built man and towered above the pudgy cop...In between the talks i could hear words like arrest,detain...

Suddenly the reporter turned and in a very discreet way asked me to go...
Finally the tryst with the dialouge of A Beautiful Mind ended...

The only hing which flashed thru my mind was the dialouge Gandalf said in Lord of the Rings:The Fellowship of he Ring....

Fly you fool....
:)

The next day was one of the most depressing day of my life.I couldn't go to my office and even flirted with the idea of leaving my training midway. I just lay on my bed pondering over every detail in my mind wondering if next time i would take a different course of action...
Ofcourse yea...
A kick in the ass to the pudgy cop and the nephew(who called me 2 days back for monetary help and in turn got a piece of my big mind...)

No comments: