Saturday, February 28, 2009

System Rots...But Inspite of it we Survive..And thts the beauty(pun intented) of it...

There are times in your lives when you take things into perspective.I had heard this crap many times but hadn't got to believing it.
Then something happened.What is being recounted here is true-although it has all the trials and tribulations of a Hindi movie or as a friend told me a nice novel.

Statutory Warning
And in the process of writing this i have used some real conversations which include certain expletives...
So please refrain if you are not fond of such reading...

It was 14th Feb night.Some friends from my college had come to see Iron Maiden and i had visited an entire day with them earlier.It was a rocking day and was certainly the best day i had spent in Bangalore.

I was on a high.I talked to Pratap for a long time,called mom and talked to her late into the night fr almost one and a half hour.Still my thirst remained to be quenched so i called up another friend of mine Sagar.We talked for almost 2 hrs. :)It was the best day of my satay in Bangalore.I watched a movie and it was 5:30 in the morning when i decided to go out and have a cup of tea and some Bread Omlette.So armed with my phone and ear phones istarted scourging the lanes of Bangalore for some tea.

I had to walk for amost 2kms ill i reached Apollo and had some tea there.

But then Tragedy struck....

I was on my way home when i saw a group of peaople.Curiousity duly aroused i reached there to find a man lying on ground bleeding heavily frm his head and a policeman standing there.It was nauseating.I stood there for 2 mins but the site of so much blood coupled with some one vomitting nearby got to me.I decided to go.I walked for 100mts but couldn't move further.I stood there helplessly an internal war waging inside of me.I believe my better sense got hold of me.I went there and asked the cop what was he doing.He told me that an ambulance had been called 15mins back.Apollo was 2mins drive from the accident.I called Apollo and asked them where the f**k was the ambulance.They told me that no call had been received.

Some mf had duped the cop.Lol...People can think of a Re over a man's life...

The ambulance came.I thought my job was done.I asked cop if he needed any help.He said no.The way he said sounded very suspicious.I sat in the ambulance with him.Now the real drama starts...

1)We went to a hospital where the ward boy told us that no emergency cases are handled here.

2)We went to Nimhans.There we got the man onto the stretcher and i asked for help.There i was guided to Chief Medical(whatever).She came out of the restroom and groggily asked me what the matter was.I felt guilty for disturbing her sleep( :) )...

I told her tht i'll do the paperwork u just get doctor to him.She put a finger to her mouth and asked me to keep quite.I was stunned by the callousness in her attitude.

The nurses were cursing because the man's blood had spoiled the sheet of the stretcher.They put him on a new sheet this time with a poly bad underneath his head so the sheet remains clean.

Finally she came to have a look at him.She poked him mercilesly.It was brutal to see a man in so much pain being subjected to torture.His eye right eye was swollen and she forced open it to see---I have no idea what...

She went and asked the cop to do the paperwork.i stood by the person askin a passin nurse to help him.Finally the lady doc came and asked me to shut up and not disturb everyone...
She said,
"We don't want to do anything at this point of time.We'll do whenever we feel like doing something.You don't know how things work here so just shut up."
As Russel Crowe says in A Beautiful Mind...
I was terrified,petrified,mortified,stupified by....
Well..Thts a good question...
The system...Which wanted me to do the paperwork first...
The doctors...Who were busy discussing the politics and everything else....
The apathy...of everyone... or as i realized later...
Everything mixed together and presented in form of a very bitter concotion...
Whatever it was it was fuking crazy.....

Finally his family came(which consisted of his wife,his brother and his brother's son)
Sleep Starved i decided to plod along.I gave my phone number to the lady and the victim's brothers' son was touchin my feet.
I felt happy that in my wretched life(till now) i could help someone...

The policeman came and asked me if i had some money to give to the lady in case she required it.I told him i had just 15-20 Rs which i required to get back to home.
And then what happened'll forever remain etched in my memory...
The cop took out his wallet and gave some moey to the lady...
Dude...A cop giving money to a helpless person.......Thts a first.....

I patted him on his back on our way home.I told him it was my first experience with cops and i had always percieved them to be corrupt and callous.He smiled and said same is with the public too...
They always shy away from responsibilities.That retort was like a slap..
In the silence that followed....

I recounted how the people on the accident scene had slowly melted into the crowd as the ambulance had approached and no one was prepared to help us get him on to the stretcher..

Inside the hospital people were stopping me and asking me what happened...
No one was helping me to transfer that man onto a stretcher but all wanted the gossip...
Maybe tell there families at meal time how rash the traffic is in Bangalore... Whatever...
They all wanted to know why i was there...The truth is even i didn't know what events transpired that day...
The cop whose niece was getting married that day was about to leave duty for the day when call came in.It was my first morning walk in almost my entire life...
Well as they say....
It had to happen....And i was throughly exhausted and satisfied(its a strange mix of emotions but it gives you an inexplicable sense of happiness)

I came home...That forced me to drink a coffee with him..He said it was his way of thanking me...
I thought it was enough drama for the day...
But somehthing else was in store for me....

No comments: