Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Culmnation.

How do you describe one of the most essential period of time in a blog? A period where you have craved for some work for first 5 months and then finally assigned 2 months of work in the last 18 days. A period where in

Its been almost 6 months since the beginning of this internship. The initial excitment and hooplah had already evaporated once the acclimitisation to the work I was supposed to be doing was done. It was not supposed to be fun and frolic, rather it was gonna be mundane. Sitting on a chair for atleast 8 straight hours, drinking coffee to ward off sleep, trying to concentrate on an e-book and simultaneously searching for the hundreds of unknown terms on each page.

The intial work assigned was the complete and thorough study of Visual c# and WPF framework. Now how can anyone do that in a period of a month and then get full steam on to the project. But this was acheived somehow and a project assigned. The project was perhaps my first attempt to build something formal. All the previous attempts had either been copying code from the net or just putting something together at the last moment.

However this was different. The level of perfection required was way above i had ever imagined. Even the smallest and the minutest detail such as the border of a freaking button was paid attention to. It seemed crazy at that time but now after doing this for the last 6 months I have realized this is how it is done professionally.

One particualar thing which drove me mad for almost a month was a stupid panoramic view required in my project. I had absolutely no idea how to go about it. I flirted with absurd ideas like 3D controls and using third party tools. But as is the case with complex mathematics problems wherein the answer is either 0 or 1, the answer to my predicament lay in 6 lines of code. It was an end to an excrutiating period of time-perhaps the worst i have ever faced in my professional like (both in the company and in my college).

But it was not to be the end of my woes. The animation and other effects to be incorporated in my work took a painstackingly long time and sucked the life force out of me.

After finally 1 month of not accomplishing any productivity, my manager finally relented and gave me some work realted to the programming of 3D software. Now this work was so esoteric that i had no idea as to how to get started with it let alone do it. I was finally given the paper work of designing the software.

This was one helluva boring job and i asked from him some coding job. He was reluctant to give me some new work given the limited time frame in which i was working(less than one month remained for my internship). But i promised him that both the jobs would be done on time.

The coding job was done in less than a week. He was astonished to say the least. I slogged it out for almost 14 hours a day for 7 continuous days(including weekends). But when he looked at the output i believe he was speechless.(feels nice to praise one's own work)

After that he was so impressed that he asked me to complete one more work. Only 2 weeks remained now. Time was of the essence, so the slogging rate was again increased and surpisingly the work was accomplished in less than 4 days. This time he was more than astonished. And he had no suggestions this time beacause working under him for 6 months i knew what all he desired in the project. I pre-coded all the features and as soon as he asked me to code that, i told him that it was already done. It was time to gather accolades. :)

On July 2 when he finally said that work was "Good" i was exhilarated to say the least. My internship which had begun on a kind of a monotonous note ended on a very positive note.

I resigned on July 3 and the my tenure ends after 3 days. The days i blog, read novels sitting in office, eat a 3 course lunch and a 5 course dinner, play Table Tennis and carrom for atleast 4 hours each day... :)... Complete use of company resources...

So what did i learn from this internship:

Every problem has a solution(as i found it out the hard way). Never give up. Perseverance is the key.

Family and friends are the biggest pillars of support a person can get. They encourge you when you are down and lift you further when you are on a high. Its strange how things are designed. As Robbie Williams aptly puts it - Something Stupid....[:D]

No comments: